Sunday, March 30, 2014

The price of untouched soup

It was not wise to stay up past 1am two nights in a row.  I can feel the ache behind my eyes for sure.  I still have those night owl tendencies.

This morning when I went in to feed Avind I had one of those transcendent moments.  I got him out of his crib and laid him on the bed next to me.  He was so still for a moment- looking up at me with his big, bright eyes in his smooth, flawless face.  He was perfect.  So perfect. And I felt this absolute contentment and love.  I was his whole world at that moment and he, too, was content with that.  He gazed at me so deeply.   It is incredible to recognize how absolutely dependent this little spirit is on me.  I wanted to keep that image in my mind forever. Every day I think, "I just want to memorize his face exactly as it is right at this moment." But the problem is that the next day that face is replaced with the new face that has changed just ever so slightly.  But I get to see him grow, everyday.  It is such a gift to mother this child. 

Collin impressed me this evening.  We had an invitation to get together with a couple of families for dessert and games after dinner.  But Collin didn't eat his soup.  Daddy made it clear that Collin would not get dessert if he did not finish his soup.  This was lentil soup that Collin declared as "Yummy! I love this soup!" the other day.  He wanted us to feed it to him.  But I am really trying to break that bad habit of spoon feeding him.  When it was time to go, the soup had not been touched and he told us that he chose not to have dessert.  Oh, boy.  We had to stick with our guns now.  I reminded him that he needed to be calm when everyone else was eating dessert and he wasn't.  Well, we got to the Alsop's and the kids played and the adults chatted and we all had a great time.  Soon, ice cream and cookies came out.  Everyone dished up, except for Collin.  And you know what? He did really well.  He stood by us and did tell us that he felt hungry and really wished he could have some dessert.  But there was no fit or crying or anger.  He kept his end of the deal.  I am very pleased with the maturity that showed.  When we got home he asked if he could eat his soup.  And he did.  I am glad to know he is not going to bed hungry. My Collin.  I am proud everyday of him.  Sometimes he is strong and wise beyond this 3 year old mind. I told him today that his great mind and ability to think is a gift and that he needs to make sure that he uses that gift to bless other people.  I am certain he will.

And I am fairly certain he will eat his soup next time during dinner.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment