Saturday, March 29, 2014

March 13- The green smothie that wasn't green


March 13, 2014

I am currently raging a battle called, “getting Collin to eat something besides cheese and green oatmeal.”  Anyone who is a parent has waged this war I believe.  I was the youngest child and I am pretty sure my parents lost this battle.  I ate tortilla with cheese on a daily basis.  However, I fully intend on winning against Collin.  But some days I am ready to throw in the towel.  I have had a few of those days just this week.  By the time Blake arrives home he finds me crying in the kitchen, Avind crying clinging to my legs, and Collin crying at the table.  What a joy, eh?  I have told myself too many times, “I HATE this!” when really I want to love it.  So, once again I am attempting to figure out this mess we call dinnertime. 

I have a few things going here that I am hopeful about.  

#1 I got a baby gate for the kitchen.  So at least now Avind can cry at the gate instead of at my legs. 
#2 I got a kid’s cookbook from the library and I had Collin pick out some recipes to try cooking with me.  We went shopping yesterday for the ingredients and he was pretty excited to pick them out for me.  I won’t go into detail about the rest of the shopping trip.  I will just leave it at it did not go well. 
#3 I am not going to wait for Blake for dinner anymore.  I am going to feed the kids at 5:00 as much as I can
#4 Collin and I had a good talk about the importance of at least trying new things and he did say he would do a better job of at least trying. 

We had one success this afternoon.  We tried the “Green Monster Smoothie” from the cookbook which we chose specifically because the picture showed a nice green smoothie and Collin loves all things green.  Well, it lied to us.  The smoothie turned out to be a deep purple color thanks to the frozen blueberries it called for.  And the Kale we added didn’t blend as well so there were little tiny green flakes throughout the whole thing.  BUT Collin had a blast putting all the ingredients in and he tried it.  He took two good sips before deciding he didn’t like it.  I can’t say I was a fan either but I was sure to happily drink my share while Collin was watching me.  Avind on the other hand loved it and sipped all of Collin’s right up.  We decided to make the extra into popcicles and are going to see if we like them that way any better.  And Collin has agreed to try another smoothie tomorrow.  So, there is hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment