Saturday, March 29, 2014

March 25- No more yelling for this Momma


Tues. March 25, 2014
Any parent knows the frustration of attempting to plan around nap time.  And every day it is this impossible challenge to figure out when can we go out and still make sure Avind gets his sleep.  I try to make apts and plans around him, but those are the days he picks to only sleep for 30 minutes and be extremely tired again right as I am getting ready to go.  It happened that way for me again today.  I decided I would go workout after I got Collin from school since I haven’t gone in several days.  And Avi was tired.  It really worked out okay.  There was an older lady who was willing to hold him the entire time so he was pretty happy.  I on the other hand felt like I was going to die attempting flip turns during my swim.  I am sure it was entertaining for the life guard. :)

So, we get home and Collin begs to watch a show and I figure he will comply to the promise of going strait to quiet time so I can shower.  And as soon as the time comes to go to his room, he starts into one of his fits.  Oh, boy.  He was unhappy about everything.  How dare I expect him to use the potty? And try to go poop?  That is outrageous!  Quiet time? How can I make him spend time all by himself?  I was really unhappy about the prospect of Collin waking up his sleep-deprived brother.  So, I was in a bind.  I felt myself getting very angry.  But I did something incredible today.  At least I think so.  I did not yell.  And I did not spank.  In fact I made myself smile at him and tell him I loved him.  Of course, that was easy to do after I made him go outside.  In the rain.  In the cold. Hey, I gave him fair warning.  And I told him he would be free to come in as soon as he was done throwing a fit.  I am sure the neighbors enjoyed hearing screams of, “Mommy let me in!!!! You did a VERY bad thing!  Now my socks are wet!  Let me in!” Once he calmed down a bit, I did bring him in, pulled him onto my lap, took off his wet socks and warmed his little feet in my hands.  And once again told him I loved him.  He did go to quiet time after a long battle.  And as I gave a sigh of relief and happily went down the stairs, anxious for some time alone, I heard a sound.  A cry.  And my quiet time was over.  ug. 

Another good mom thing I did today was reading with the boys.  We sat in Collin’s room for about an hour and read books.  Collin would bring me a book and plop down on my lap.  We would read it, and then Avind would bring a book and sit in my lap to read.  He loved the squeaky kitten book.  We read that one several times.  He is starting to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment