Sunday, May 4, 2014

Friday May 2- Worst Pancake Maker in the World

I had rolled over and cuddled up to Blake to get a little more sleep when suddenly there was a little voice next to me that said, "I'm just too excited to make pancakes!" It made me jump!  That is one way to wake up.  I pulled Collin into a hug and tried to convince him to cuddle for a bit, but we were soon up making our pancakes.

So, I had a suspicion before, but after this morning I am fairly certain of it: I am the worst pancake-maker in the world.  I don't know why, but I cannot figure out pancakes.  It shouldn't be that hard!  I mean, Ihop and Denny's have it down, how can I not get this right?  In fact, I would rather make any other breakfast than pancakes because my chances of success are very slim.  Luckily, due to my inability to make pancakes, we don't have pancakes at home and Collin really doesn't know how to distinguish a good from a bad pancake.  I guess it stems from the fact that my mom is from Norway where they really don't make pancakes.  They make panacake- crepes.  So, we never had them at home growing up either.

I followed the recipe on the back of the Curious George book.  Well, I guess that could be our first problem; Curious George is not exactly Martha Stewart I suppose.  Monkeys are not usually high on the list of gourmet chefs. But still, shouldn't make that much of a difference.  Collin did decide we should add blueberries, which is a big deal since he is usually too picky to try that.  I think he was getting quite hungry.  And he did let me put butter on them, which is also a step in the right direction of him trying new things.

All-in-all, they weren't terrible.  And Collin thought they were delicious.  That really is all that matters. I thought they were okay.  And Blake was a good sport and ate them regardless of what he really thought about them.  So, I count it as a food victory in this battle I am waging against my picky eater.



I had a good day with the kids.  I took some good time to play with them and their giggles laughter were well worth the effort.  Avi's got one front tooth that has poked through and the other one has just barely broken the surface so his happy grin is absolutely adorable.  Collin is a good brother.  I love watching him play with Avi.  Collin gave me a scare during his quiet time.  He let out some "something in here is trying to kill me!" screams so I bolted up stairs as fast as possible and threw open the door.  "What is it?!  What's wrong? Are you okay?!!"  Collin's terrified response as he ran to me, "There's a fly in here!!!" Phew!  A fly!  Oh goodness.  I was ready to kill a dinosaur.  :)

I decided to give Collin a little break and made pita pizzas for dinner.  He was definitely thrilled.  Although I put everything on his that I put on the rest of ours and he was not pleased with the green onions.  He finally figured out that he could pick them off. We had a fabulous evening when Blake got home.  We ate our pizzas out on our back porch and I turned up the music and starting dancing all silly-like.  Daddy pulled Collin up and they joined me dancing and leaping around.  Avi wiggled a little dance in his seat with his pizza sauce covered self.  That was, indeed, a wonderful treasure moment.

Blake and Collin ended the day with a Goo Baf.  It is this packet that makes the water turn to green goo.  It was wild.  Definitely a big hit for both of them.  I had a few precious moments alone with Avind as I got him into bed. Those are the moments that make this life worth it.  His big brown eyes looking up at me as I held him and sang to him.  Oh, how I love him!


1 comment:

  1. Liesel you’ve got the right idea. It’s treasuring a few little minutes during the day that makes the journey of raising kids inspiring. Documenting them like this is priceless. As the kids get older they will love reading these moments over and over. Re-reading them will give them that safe warm special feeling that they enjoy as carefree kids absolutely in love with living and adventure in simple things. You are a treasured mom.

    ReplyDelete