Sunday, May 11, 2014

Thanks Mom!

One of the most wonderful and unexpected blessings that has come with becoming a mother is my increased ability to understand, appreciate, and love my own Mom. I relish this new-found connection with her.  I know when I have a rough mom-day, or an incredibly happy mom-day, she will understand and be able to match my emotion with her own.  I have never felt so close to her and I love it.

So, in honor of her this mother's day I just wanted to take some time to write about the treasure moments I have of my mom.  This is not going to be all the moments- there are far too many.  But these are some of my most prized.

1-I remember this time we went grocery shopping and on way back we got stuck at a railroad crossing with the longest train.  Mom loved warm french bread and so without a beat she reached back into the grocery bag and pulled out the french bread we had just bought. We pulled off handfuls of the yummy bread and ate it right there in the front seat.  I just remember feeling so happy as we giggled and ate our bread.

2-I got a citation from school once for talking too much.  I was very ashamed for being in trouble.  I recall my mom looking at it and saying, "Oh, well you just like to talk.  Not a big deal." I felt so grateful she hadn't made me feel worse than I already did.

3- My first trip to Mexico was with Mom.  We had taken a trip to Southern Ca for a little spring time getaway and Ed Torriente happened to be taking a trip to their home in Mexico.  So, we tagged along.  We ate lobster for the first time and I even got to learn how to surf.  When we got back to CA and it was the day to leave, the weather was PERFECT.  So, on a fly, we decided to stay an extra day.  We spent the entire day on the beach and it was perfect.

4- Another beach trip- this time to go to Heike's wedding.  The problem was, neither of us put sunblock on our feet.  We were in such pain at the reception!  You can bet I have never forgotten to put it on my feet again.

5-I recall feeling so proud to walk into the front office of the elementary school and see my mom working there.  She looked so official and professional.  I also remember her coming across the street so we could go home from school and she recognized that I was unhappy.  I cried to her in the car about how the girls who were supposedly my friends had teased me all day about my new socks I was wearing.  I felt so embarrassed and lonely.  She held me and just listened.  I knew I was safe with her.

6- I decided to be Shakespeare for Halloween.  That is, Shakespeare, our dog.  She sewed my costume for me.  I loved it- even if people thought I was a white bunny instead of a dog.  :)

7- I could hear my mom cheering for me at every soccer game and every track meet.  She was there every time.  And she always made certain I had everything I needed before hand.  She made breakfast and packed my lunch and water.  I could count on hearing her shrill cry right as I pushed to the finish line.  Thanks for being my manager mom!

8- If I liked a boy, mom liked him too.  She trusted me.  And she would be sure to invite him for dinner.  I spent many Saturday mornings at the foot of my parent's bed recounting my date or activity from the night before. She particularly came to adore this young man named Blake.  When he had very little support, she did all she could do step in as a "mom". Even when he was on his mission, she wrote to him faithfully.  And when he came home she paid for him to buy some clothes.  When I broke up with him, she declared that just because I broke up with him didn't mean she had to. She was absolutely delighted when we came back together and soon were married.

9- When Blake had heart surgery, she became our live-in nurse to take care of him while I worked.  She brought him food and made sure he did his "breathing exercises" (although sometimes we would giggle because it sounded like she would say "breeding exercises"). I remember her trying to help fix the sprinkler and it turning on and soaking her.  I even have a great picture of it somewhere.  She is running towards me, soaked and laughing.  :)

10- She began Collin's love of stories.  She was gracious enough to watch Collin for 3 days while we went to Blake's bar exam.  She told him stories and he has loved stories ever since.  The 3 bears is the one he always requests during our skypes.

11- I remember when I was really little going to the river to go swimming.  She would pack up the kids and we would go.  She loved the water and loved swimming.  And I do to.  Give me a river, a lake, an ocean, a puddle- anything and you will find me in it.  All because of a mom who taught me to love it.

12- I can hardly make dinner each day.  I try to imagine how my mom came home from working full-time and still made nutritious dinners for us.  But she did.  And we had some wonderful times together around the dinner table.

13- I remember going to Thrifty's and getting a bright green mint chocolate chip ice cream cone.  I loved it!  And mint choc chip is still to this day one of my favorite flavors.

14- Friday's were Chinese take-out dinner days.  We would stop at the grocery store on our way home and get two heaping containers of yummy food.  We especially loved the wontons dipped in sweat and sour sauce. Mmmmmmmm.

15- When I was 16 I got my wisdom teeth out.  Coming out from the anesthesia made me really sick.  I recall throwing up over and over and seeing my mom crying and saying, "Oh, Mike!  I can't stand seeing her so sick!  I wish I could be the one throwing up for her." I felt so loved at that moment.

16- We planted strawberry plants in the backyard and one summer I remember going and picking fresh strawberries together and putting them over ice cream.

17- It was a bit tough sometimes when Mormor would visit.  I can see now that suddenly being around 3 kids for an extending period of time must have been exhausting.  But I remember that every time she got upset at something I did, my mom would jump right in and defend me.  

18- Mom was not overly concerned about superficial things like make-up or fashion.  She looked nice and she stayed up on styles, but she had a natural beauty.  I learned from her that I didn't need to plaster my face in make-up or show my body off to get attention.  She insisted on modesty and focusing on building my inner beauty and she taught me by example.

19- I have saved a ton of money thanks to mom.  She is very frugal and I learned from her that it is important to be wise with your money.

20- Once while she was visiting us in VA we went to the beach together.  While I fed Collin in the car, she ran to the McDonald's to get us ice cream cones.  She said, "won't they melt?" and I insisted that it would be fine.  I can still remember her face as she opened my car door and melted ice cream splattered all over the door.  I had been totally wrong.  They melted all over.  But I can't stop laughing now thinking about her face.  :)  Sorry mom!

21- Mom was the biggest life-saver when we moved from Williamsburg to Chesapeake.  She was amazing at packing and organizing.  She just did so much for us.  And when I needed to cry from being tired and frustrated, she was there for me.

22- I love flowers and gardening thanks to mom.  She gave me a profound love for nature.  Sunsets, and stars and trees.  I love them because she loved them.

23- While we spent a summer in Norfolk she stayed with us.  We also had to dog sit during those weeks.  Those dogs ate not one, not two, but three entire boxes of multi-grain cheerios.  Can you believe it?  Neither could we.  :)

24- Also during that stay we had to clean up an incredible amount of dog poop in the house after one of the dogs got sick while we were away during the day.  She cleaned on her hands and knees right there along side of me.

25- We took a trip to New York and I remember our day at Niagra Falls.  We had so much fun together!  We laughed and talked and it was just heaven!  We decided to cross into Canada and watched the lights on the falls from that side.  It was spectacular.

26- Christmas growing up was absolutely magical.  It was so full of rich tradition.  It wasn't just the presents, it was the entire atmosphere at our home.  Mom always made sure the home was decorated and she baked and cooked and played Norwegian music.

27- Mom kept a clean house.  I don't know how with everything else she had going on, but our home was tidy.  That was one of her gifts.  She cleaned as she went.  That is a gift I do not have and am trying to learn!

28- Mom loved to cuddle.  She would let me climb into bed with her in the morning and we would cuddle and talk.

29- Another precious memory is the time she was living alone in Hurricane. My dad was already in Henderson for work and I had gone up to BYU for the summer.  She had had surgery on her gall bladder just a few days before.  I called and asked how she was doing. She bravely answered that she was fine.  After I hung up, I just knew that I needed to go to her.  I threw a few things in a bag and jumped in the car and drove the 4 hours.  When I got to our house I called her, pretending I was still in Provo.  While we were on the phone I rang the door bell.  You should have seen her face when she opened the door and saw me there.  She dropped to her knees, and cried, "How did you know I needed you?" That night was one of the most wonderful and precious times I have every shared with her.  We laid in bed and she told me stories of her childhood and memories of Mormor.  We stayed up late into the night together.  It was incredible.

30- The last one to share is a compilation of images of her standing on the porch waving to me as I drive off or standing just outside the security line and I walk through the airport.  She is always crying.  And so am I.  Because I love her so very much.  And I know she loves me with all her heart.

Oh, mom.  Thank you for everything you are.  Thank you for everything you have done for me.  I love you more than I could ever say.  Happy Mother's Day.






1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute -- and what a wonderful mama! :) I agree that being a parent suddenly gives you so much more appreciation for your mother. I feel the exact same way! How did they do it?!

    ReplyDelete