Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Reset


I will be the first to admit that last week was not a good one for me.  I was certainly failing in the mother and wife category.  Isn’t it interesting how easy it is to get into a rut?  I was stressed about figuring out our trip to Utah and I neglected everything else.  I was so short with Collin and I did hardly anything for them.  I was not a good mom.  And I didn’t like it. 

So, the best thing about Sunday is that for me, it is like pushing the “reset” button.  And I did.  I made some goals today that I think will re-center my life and help me reclaim the “good mom” spot.  Here they are:

1-Say a sincere kneeling prayer 2 x day
2- Read 5-10 minutes of scriptures a day
3- Exercise 3 x this week
4- Play 1 game with each child daily
5- Read for 10 minutes with each child daily
6- Have family pray daily
7- Have family scripture study
8-Have an official FHE
9- 15 second kiss 2 x day with Blake


Today was much better.  Much much better.  I had a focus and a purpose in being a mom and it made a world of difference.

We went running this morning.  Collin did a loop with me and I ran a quick mile.  I was pleased to clock an 8 minute mile while pushing the double jogger.  Not bad, eh? We stopped by our new neighbor’s home (Lauren) and she and her dog Jose joined us for a cool down walk.  She joined us a bit later too to make some strawberry jam.  I took the kids VT with me…not so fun.  I can’t do that without a sitter again. 

After Collin’s quiet time I did something I have failed to do in a while: I spent time with him.  I took a game into him and we played together and I loved it.  I know he did too.  I need to do that more.  I want to do that more.  I had him sit on my lap and we read books.  It was lovely.  We got Avi up and went outside and while I watered the lawn, which soon turned into watering Collin.  He said it was his water park.  And he absolutely loved it. 

Blake made me his special mother’s day meal this evening.  It was spectacular.  No more Olive Garden for me- Blake can do it right here.  It was a Chicken Milano all fancied up.  You see he cooked it today because unfortunately yesterday he was quite sick and out of commission.  I actually wasn’t feeling too well either.  What is it with him and getting sick on holidays???

Let me briefly recap our wonderful moments from this weekend that made this an incredible mother’s day weekend despite the sickness. 

1- Avi is taking steps!!!  He is standing on his own all the time now.  And he will do a good 5-6 steps on his own.  Just another week or two and we will have a walker.

2-Collin scored at least 5 goals in his soccer game!  5!  And he assisted at least 2 more.  We had him sit out during the first quarter and while we talked he asked what would happen if he scored 3goals.  I told him that if he scored 3 goals, I would take him to get ice cream after the game.  Well, that did it!  He was like the energizer bunny.  He was so incredibly fun to watch.  And he did not want to go out.  All the other kids wanted a break, but not him. Later he told Blake, “I didn’t want to take a break because I just love the game!” 

3- We did our annual strawberry picking after the soccer game.  It was perfect.  Avind would stuff an entire berry in his mouth and the juice would just dribble down his little chin.  Collin was so excited about his ice cream that we made quick work of it and made our way to Bergie’s Breadbasket for the ice cream.  What Blake didn’t know was that he was getting ice cream for Avi, not him.  J Avind used the little sample spoon and went right to work on that ice cream. 

4- Speaking of ice cream, that was another of Blake’s gifts to me.  He made a homemade chocolate custard and it is beyond delicious.  Oh, my!  It is perfection.  And that is saying a lot because I am not usually a chocolate lover.  Yum.  Makes me want to go eat some right now actually. 

5- Last Saturday Blake and Collin came home from the store with a aboquet of flowers for me.  And they were in perfect bloom for this mother’s day weekend.  They are lovely and so very happy.  Jack keeps trying to eat them everytime I bring them down.  Collin does a good job of chasing him away.

6- I got to go shopping for myself on Sat. night.  I had only an hour.  But I found some really nive things

No comments:

Post a Comment