Sunday, April 6, 2014

Preschool Soccer = Beautiful Chaos

We've always had it in our minds to coach our kids in soccer.  But I wasn't so keen on the idea of starting Collin at 3.  Seemed like too young to really have any benefit for any of us. Despite my logic, Collin had other plans. It began with the awesome neon green soccer cleats he earned with a sticker chart.  


They got him thinking about soccer and asking about when he would get to be on a soccer team.  Then the YMCA had signs about their soccer league and what do you know, they begin at age 3.  He was beyond excited when he found out he could play in a real game on a real team.  I couldn't stifle his excitement.  And if we are going to spend Saturdays doing soccer, we are going to do it the right way: as the coaches. 

Our team, the Tigers, consists of 10 3-4 year olds.  We were still in HS coaching mode a bit, I think, as we talked before our first practice.  We talked about simple drills we could teach and games we could play.  I knew from my 7-8 year old team awhile back, not to expect too much.  But I was still not quite prepared for our little Tigers.

We began a couple of Saturdays back. I have never seen so many little balls and little people all in the same place. And so many parents confused at their child's sudden lack of interest in anything remotely soccer.  :) Rocks, grass, dandelions, the net in the goal-these were all very compelling to our preschoolers.  I expected that.  But I wasn't quite ready for the crying and clinging to parents, or the running away from the field and refusing to come anywhere near the rest of the group.  But one thing I am beginning to realize with Collin is that if he doesn't want to do something, and I try to force him to do it, he wants to do it even less.

It is a direct correlation.  If you saw this as two arrows plotted on a chart, as my arrow (positive encouragement to do X) goes up, Collin's arrow (desire to comply with Mom and do X) goes down, down, down.  And so it often is with 3 year olds.  That is why we parents have to learn to be so crafty.  "Oh, don't dribble the ball.  I know you are probably too little to know how to do that."

After just 2 minutes of our first practice, all thoughts of drills went out the window and we started to play.  Follow the leader, red light-green light, Simon Says- some of the clingy ones started to look a bit interested.  I told them I had a secret to tell them- that got all of them but one bouncing at my legs to find out what it was.  We were soon roaring like Tigers and having a fantastic time.  Although it was a long, LONG 45 minutes.  Phew!

So, yesterday was our first game.  And, of all things, team pictures. Goodness!  What were these people thinking?  It is torture to get just one 3-year old to pose and smile for a picture.  Now, try that with 10!  It was a fiasco.  Collin did pretty well, although there is not a chance we are spending money on the pictures.  We have an iphone that will do just fine, thanks. 

We played some games for practice and then it was time for our very first game.  Collin was beyond excited.

It was so entertaining! And busy. And funny. And sweet.  I don't even know how to capture the beautiful chaos of preschool soccer.  Blake and I took turns on the field and sidelines.  At one point I had Jack in my lap, holding Izzy's hand while Blake was running on the field, carrying Katrina all snuggled into his shoulder and  another one along as they ran near the heard.  There were bodies all over the field as one would fall and trip every child in a 10 foot radius, which means everyone of them.  Except for Tyson who was over picking flowers on the field across the way.  We would only have 4 on the field and the next thing I knew, there were 7 playing out there.  Oh, it was so wildly fun! I loved when a kid on the other team had a breakaway, made it all the way to about 2 feet in front of the goal, and then stopped and picked up the ball.  :) Our 2 girls were quite emotional.  Izzy had been crying, but calmed down if I held her.  At one point she said to me, with a quivering voice, "Can I tell YOU a secret?" I told her "Of course!"  Her reply, "I love you!" Melt my heart! I hugged her even tighter, "I love you too sweetie!"

Collin did wonderfully and he gleefully ran about, often stopping to clap his hands in delight.  He did get a breakaway and took the ball all the way down the field and into our net for his first soccer goal ever.  Oh, you should have seen his face!  I got down on my knees and held out my arms and he ran to me, until he accidently knocked over Isaiah and they got tangled up.  I grabbed him for a quick hug, and then he looked for his Daddy on the sideline and just beamed and jumped up and down in celebration.  That was indeed a most precious treasure moment for me.  I will always remember it.

The other fun part is having Avind on the field with us.  I loved when we met with the ref at center field before the game and she kind of hesitated and then said, "Um...is that...who's...why is a baby on the field?"  "Oh, that's ours.  We'll get him, no worries." :)  He got passed around to different parents and had a grand ol' time playing with all the kid's soccer balls.  He did try to get onto the field during the game a few times, but I was quicker then him.

In the end, we won 4-1.  But I will note that our team was just as excited when the other team scored as when we did.  :) And that is as it should be. 

1 comment:

  1. Memories of Shawn and Karl-Erik. When the train went by everyone stopped to watch. One time the other team had a break-away and Shawn, our goalee, was swinging on the goal crossbar with his back to the field. :)

    ReplyDelete