Saturday, April 19, 2014

Avi's first birthday

I am so tired.  Like, deep down, to the bone, completely, utterly tired.  Wow. 

Today was a busy day for us.  The Easter Bunny came for the kids this morning. And then, of course, it is our beautiful little baby's first birthday.  I can't even believe that.  As I type it, it seems impossible that it can have really been a year since they put him on my chest and he looked up at me for the first time.  

I really tried not to overdo it today.  I know he has no concept at all as to whether or not we celebrate his birthday, but I do.  And in this family, we do birthdays.  :)  And my biggest contribution is the cake.  I like to make special cakes.  By the time I finish, I am usually wishing I had just mixed up a boxed cake mix and smoothed some frosting on, but when it comes down to it, I never can let myself off that easy.  I guess I view it as my gift.  And maybe, when the kids look back at the pictures 20 years from now, of all these cakes, they will recognize that I really loved them.  Or, at least their wives might.  :)

Collin was very excited about the Easter Bunny.  Although he has told us several times that it doesn't make sense that an Easter Bunny could visit all of those houses in one night, and the Easter Bunny really can't have magic.  Since it was raining, all of the outdoor egg hunts were canceled.  And actually I was okay with that.  The last thing we need around here is more candy.  We did our own little hunt around the house.  Even Avind was figuring it out and helping Daddy find eggs.  Collin was most excited for the dress up hats EB brought.  He got a builder hat, a pirate hat, and a soldier hat.  

He has been waiting for a good long time for each of those.  Tonight when he said his prayer he said, "Thank you Heavenly Father for telling the EB to bring me a pirate hat and a soldier hat.  And for having him hide chocolate and candy for us to find."  He is a good one, that Collin. 


Blake took Collin to the movies for a Daddy-Collin date so that I could get the cake-making done without a little helper around.  :)  Avind woke up from his nap and helped me though.  I am getting pretty good at doing things with him on my hip.  Funny, I know I could just put him down, but he just loves being in my arms so I have a hard time saying no.  A harder time than I did when Collin was a baby.  Either I am getting soft, or I am just figuring out how to do things with one hand. 

I made cupcakes and a cake from scratch, along with frosting and marzipan. It took a long time.  And then I still had to decorate them all.  It took me a long time to figure out a cake theme for Avi.  He just doesn't really have a favorite.  Except x-box controllers, but I wasn't going to make a cake with that.  But, it finally came to me.  He LOVES apples.  So, apples it was.  I pieced together some ideas from pinterest and made a pretty good little cake.



The only problem was, it took me all day.  And when our friends showed up, I was still going.  Oh, well.  That is me.  Doesn't matter how early I begin, I will always be late.  And then it all happens so fast. I finish the cake just in time to cut it all up.  Avind had no clue what to do with the candle.  and with the cake we put in front of him for that matter.  He pulled out the pretzel and used that as a utinsil for awhile.  :)  




It was super cute.  I don't think he ate very much, but he had fun smearing it all over the tray.  He actually stayed pretty clean himself. 


We opened some presents and sat with our friends.  And then, all too soon, it was over.  And he is in bed and on his way to one year old + a day.  Can he just stay small?   Please?

As I put Collin to bed tonight, he did help me feel loved, "I love you mom.  Thanks for celebrating our birthdays!"  Yep.  Maybe he does get it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment