Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sick Saturday

We managed to catch another bug at our home again this weekend.  Poor Collin bore the brunt of it.  He has certainly had his fair share of stomach bugs this year. And this on top of me getting over a nasty cold from this week.

The weekend started off well.  The kids and I had a wonderful Friday evening and then our friends the White's came over to babysit so Blake and I had a date night.  We ate downtown at Sweet Chili and had a lovely time afterwards shopping at Target with no kids.  :)  It was a much needed evening together and I loved it. We each picked out a new winter hat.

Saturday started out well.  Blake was not feeling well so I got up with the kiddos.  No big deal, when he is really worn out he usually doesn't feel great when waking up.  I made waffles with the kids.  Avind is super cute when he says, "waffle" btw.  Our happiness was slightly hampered by a few thumps from our downstairs neighbor.  I kind of lost it and decided we needed to have a little chat.  I am grateful that I was calm by the time I made it down stairs and knocked on her door.  I told her how sorry I was for the noise and that I understood it was difficult to have the kids running around upstairs, but I also told her that I only get Saturdays and Sundays with my kids and they only get the weekend to play with one another.  I told her that I did not want to spend those precious moments getting after them over and over again not to play and not to jump and not to have fun.  I told her I have tried to calm them down, but that is so hard to help the little ones understand.  I told her Blake was unwell upstairs so we couldn't go there, and it was freezing outside so we couldn't go there.  I asked her to forgive us, but to understand that the kids need to be able to be kids.  She was pretty receptive and apologized but also told me she didn't know what to do because it was driving her crazy.  So, I gave her my number and told her when she hits a breaking point to send me a text and I would really try to take the kids out or upstairs and give her a little break.  I was quite proud of myself for being calm because this has been an additional cause of stress, and I already have plenty of that.  She did come over later in the afternoon to apologize and brought the kids some coloring pages and crayons.  I hope we can continue to make amends.

So, anyway, when Blake got up it was apparent that it wasn't just a I'm-tired not feeling well.  He was on the verge of throwing up.  Collin was dissapointed that his Daddy-Collin date looked to be canceled and during his quiet-time he started saying he wasn't feeling well either.  I thought he was just trying to be like Daddy.  Up until I heard the signature, "I am going to throw up!!!" scream from him.  I raced upstairs and got him to the toilet.  We sat there long enough that he started to fall asleep with his head resting on the toilet.  I laid him down on the floor for him to sleep, but it wasn't long until my poor boy was throwing up.  A slightly comical moment was when I started gagging, and then Blake finally lost his cookies.  The 3 of us in the bathroom were quite a trio.

Collin was sick all day.  He threw up 5 or 6 times.  By the end there was nothing left but his little body would heave and he would choke and cry out, "Help me!"  :( I was so sad.  I wish I could have done more, but all I could do was hold him.

I slept in his room last night on the floor just in case he needed me.  We all stayed home from church, again.  They are going to think we are inactive.  Oh, well.  We all seemed to do a little better this morning, and were better by evening.

An update on the boys:

Collin is starting to read!  We have a white board in the kitchen and sometimes we write words up there and sound them out with Collin.  He loves our little game and today he could sound them out and read them!  On his own!  It was so fun to see it click.  He and I are getting along quite well.  One good thing about working- Collin misses me and I miss him so our time together is very tender. I hold him more and am slower to anger.  And we laugh together.

Avind has his favorite words: "mine" and "no" followed by, "too-too" (train) and "tika" (peak a boo) and he loves to dance.  To dance sometimes he just swings his elbow back and forth.  And he loves to sit on your lap to eat.  He loves apples more than ever and is always holding one or two, or walking with a bowl of 3.  He will take your finger and lead you to the fridge and say, "Apum" :)  When I come to the daycare to see him at lunch or pick him up, it is the best.  He yells out, "Mom!" and runs to me as fast as he can.  At home it is all Daddy though.  He likes to be able to see me, but he wants his dad to hold him.

Another week ahead.  I wish I could stay home this week.  We have a winter storm tonight and tomorrow.  Cold here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment