Sunday, November 16, 2014

Primary Program

I learned a really valuable lesson this weekend about Collin.  Today was the primary program at our church and they had a practice yesterday during the morning.  I got the boys ready and we rushed out the door to make it.  I had practiced Collin's speaking part with him several times, although he did tell me he didn't want to get up to say anything.

When we got the the church and were just about to walk into the chapel where the practice was held, Collin put the breaks on.  He was NOT going in there and he was not going to practice.  I was quite frustrated at first since this practice was taking our precious saturday time already.  But I simply told him that Avind and I were going in and he was free to join us or not.  Avind and I parked on a bench in the back and it took about three minutes but Collin eventually joined us.  But he didn't want to go up.  And I decided that was okay.  We watched the practice and helped get a room set up for the pizza party that was to follow.  That was one thing Collin was excited about: Pizza.  We stuck around for the after-practice celebration and Collin got to spend some time with his buddy Hank and talk with his Sunbeam teachers who were great about encouraging him but not pushy.

At home I brought up the program a few times and talked about how fun it would be to see him up on the stand.  We practiced his line a few more times, and during family prayer I prayed for him to feel comfortable enough to perform in the program.

And what do you know!  This morning when he bounded into our room I asked him if he wanted to be in the program and he said yes.  I was actually quite surprised.  He was insistent on wearing his suit coat so he could look his best.  And he went up without a battle.  He looked perfect.  Adorable. Sweet. Smart.  Every good word I can think of.  And I was a proud Momma.  Anytime he caught my gaze he enthusiastically waved to me and I waved back.  It was a heart-warming experience.  Avind was excited to see his brother, too, and did lots of waving. He was unhappy with us for not letting him go up on stage to join his brother.  And when it was Collin's turn to give his line, he froze and covered his mouth.  And he said nothing.  But I was so proud of him for trying.  After the program he ran to me and I gave him a big hug.  He was happy and we were happy with each other.

I am so glad I was inspired not to force him to go up yesterday.  I just let him be for awhile and allowed him to get used to the idea.  And you know if he had decided not to go up, that would have been okay, too. 

Well, another week begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment