Sunday, September 28, 2014

I can do hard things Sept 17

Something I often tell Collin is this: "You can do hard things."  I have found that in the last couple of weeks I have had to repeat this phrase to myself quite a bit.  Now we get to see if I can live up to my own expectations.

Today was a hard day.  I put quite a bit of effort into planning and preparing a lab for the students so that I am not just blabbing at them every day.  We did that lab today and it was a mess.  And a total waste of time.  Sometimes I wonder if there is anything inside those heads.  It is amazing how much they don't hear.  It is incredible that I can talk for 10 minutes outlining instructions, do a demonstration, show where written instructions can be found, and yet still have several, "Wait, what are we supposed to do?  How do you make a slide?" 

My 5th period class in particular is a real trip.  9 girls and 20 boys.  Ug.  It is the period after lunch, and several of my special needs kids are in there. They are the class (seems like there is always one) that no matter how I switch up the seating chart, I can't contain them.  I really don't want to stifle the energy of the boys, but trying to direct that energy is exhausting. After that class today I was ready to throw in the towel.  I just want to stay home tomorrow. Too bad subs don't get personal leave days.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment