Sunday, June 29, 2014

Church as a Mom

Today I was craving something spiritual. 

It has really been a long time it seems since I got to listen to an actual lesson or have a long enough study that I could feel the spirit and be strengthened by it.  Going to church as a mom is sometimes lacking.  Like most things, you are so busy taking care of everyone else that you don't really get a whole lot out of it.  It doesn't mean I would consider church a waste of time by any means.  I am able to serve the children in Primary and we are building a foundation for our children to build their testimonies on; We get to see our friends and help others feel welcome and wanted at church; and we get to bear our testimonies which strengthens others and strengthens ourselves. 

But...I crave sitting through an entire sacrament meeting, intently listening to the speaker, and feeling the spirit wash over me, maybe even taking notes, instead of silently cursing the person going over time while I feel like I am losing in a wrestling match.  Puffs are flying everywhere and getting crunched under foot, Avind is escaping, Collin is laughing too loud as he crawls on all fours after him, there is a terrible stench coming from the diaper, Collin is refusing to use the potty, the sacrament is a delicious offering and the children each try to grab a handful of bread, and Collin insists on holding the water tray all by himself. It is exhausting.  And I feel spent.  And I miss the quiet moments when I can feel the spirit. 

I can see that perhaps that is why going to the temple can be such a benefit.  There are no children to distract me.  Now, I just need to be rested enough to fully enjoy the blessings of the temple. 

I suppose the day will come when the children are gone, I won't have any puffs in my purse to sneak during sunday school and I will miss this time terribly. 

I'll just have to skooch on over and take the baby for the frazzled mom who looks like she is losing the wrestling match.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment