Friday, June 27, 2014

Kid Update: Watch out for that Pillow!

You know that moment?  When big brother walks into the kitchen where little brother is standing and you see that big brother has a pillow and before you can say anything he swings it as hard as he can and knocks little brother clear off his feet and right into the cupboard?  Yeah, I know that moment. 

Avind was not too pleased with the result.  In Collin's defense, he was trying to play with Avind.  Now when I think about it, I can't stop laughing.  Such a big brother moment! But I wasn't laughing when it initially happened.  Collin felt pretty terrible.  He has a tender heart and when he accidentally hurts someone he always cries because he feels bad.

I am discovering that Collin is totally me, and Avind is totally Blake.  The similarities are incredible.  It is fascinating to watch your own traits manifest themselves in a little person. 

Some fun kid updates:
1- Avind is now running.  Albeit a little shaky still.  He is most definitely "toddling" around.  I love how a whole new world has opened up to him.  I took the boys to the park this evening and he was in heaven!  He ran and climbed and explored. 

2-He is unfortunately in a shrill screaming phase.  And it is driving me absolutely crazy.  My ear drums are busted from it.  Oh!  It just makes your head explode.

3- Avind loves to be held.  He snuggles up on your shoulder and sucks his thumb. 

Check out the name on the pew.  This is in the Bruton Parish in Williamsburg.    Richard Bland is one of our ancestors.


4- His newest words are "up" "jack" "uh oh" "mom" "Daaaaaa" and "hot".  He loves giving kisses and he still has the best laugh and the saddest sad face.
Oh rocks!  You are so much fun.
 Check out his goose egg!  Walking is hazardous!




5-Collin has started T-ball.  He is quite short and small but that makes sense because I think most of the kids are 5.  Whoops.  :)  But he loves it.  You can see the age difference and I am trying not to expect him to be able to act like he is five.  Yesterday as we walked into practice I didn't want him to feel embarrassed that he was holding my hand. I asked if he wanted to hold his ball and bat instead.  He sweatly replied, "No, I want to hold your hand.  Because I love you!"  I wish I could hold his hand forever!

He is a good hitter.

Definetly the shortest of the bunch.
6- Collin and Avind are sharing a room now.  Collin has loved it and informed me that he never ever wants to sleep without Avind again.  They play together in the morning until their clock turns green.  I like to have the monitor on and listen to them.  It makes my heart so happy.  Tonight as I got them in bed though Collin said he wanted Avi in the other room because all he did last night was cry and cry and cry.  It made me sad but I told him I would put Avind in the other room if that is what he needed for tonight.  It was not 5 minutes and Collin came out, "Sorry mom.  I am sorry.  Avind can sleep in my room.  It is okay, even if he cries.  You can put him in here so you can get more sleep. " Sweet boy. 

7-Collin is getting better at playing by himself.  He likes to play risk during quiet time and spends an hour or two setting up the pieces and creating battles. 

8- We took Sam to Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown and Collin decided to dress up like George Washington.  If only I had a quarter for everytime someone said, "Oh!  Look at him!  He is sooooooo cute!"  I even taught him how to bow and tip his hat and say "good day." That just put the icing on the cake.  He really is adorable. 
Collin with his Hero George Washington.

Sam and Collin got to hold this real sword at Yorktown.
This soldier was quite amused to hear that George Washington is Collin's hero now, but it used to be Mickey Mouse.  :)


9-We went to the beach yesterday and Collin spent almost the whole time boogie boarding.  And he was good at it!  A few times he totally wiped out.  I would sprint over to make sure he was okay and he would cough and get up and say, "yeah, I am okay mom.  I'm good" and go right back in.  See?  Totally me right there.  But Avind, not so keen on the ocean.  Wasn't sure he liked it when I took him in.  See?  Totally Blake.  :)  I enjoyed myself.  The water was perfect; cool enough to refresh but warm enough to be comfortable.  Sam got the hand of boogie boarding too. 

Well, I am completely exhausted and want to get some sleep.  I sent Blake and Sam to DC without us.  I would love to see DC, but honestly I am soooooo glad I did not take the kids.  We definitely needed a break.  I sat out in our bug net for a good hour just doing nothing.  I watched the light fade as the sun went down and enjoyed the perfect evening.  The air was soft and humid but the breeze kept it cool.  A few fireflies made their way into our back yard and I admired the green of our little haven.  I will miss it.  This has been a good home for us.  It was wonderful to have a good treasure moment to take it in. 

1 comment:

  1. I cannot even say all the things I love about this post -- George Washington; T-ball; Avind walking, talking, and crawling; boys sharing a bedroom; and just your overall joy in your children. It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete