Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Avi's sweet face

I am so so so so busy.  Today was one of those days where I feel like I am doing everything half way.  That can be so discouraging.  But, this evening I got to spend a few precious minutes with Avind, and it totally made my day. 

We had put the kids to bed but after about 20 minutes Avind started crying.  And his is the heart wrenching version in case you wanted some good justification as to why I went in.  He wanted Daddy, but I guess I was an acceptable alternative.  I got him out and held him on my chest as I sat on the floor with my back against the bed.  Collin was softly snoring already so I didn't worry about waking him.  Avind wanted his "manket" so we got it out and snuggled on the floor.  His littleness was so amazing to me.  He fit right in my arms and molded into my body as we cuddled.  He was pretty awake so we played quietly for a bit as I tried to catch his little hands.  He would giggle softly and try again to trick me.  His soft hair is getting long- I am never quite sure how to cut it-and it reminded me of a baby ostrich's hair the way it fanned up.  I ran my fingers through it again and again, trying to memorize the feel and his smell.  Oh, he is growing up so quickly!

I feel the pain of missing his everyday activities as I work, but I also recognize the sweetness of our limited time together.  Oh, how I cherish those moments!  Avind loves our "unch dates!" and asks for one every day.  He thinks he is so funny when he leans back and says, "oh, man!" and waits for us all to laugh so he can do it again.  He loves to be funny.  Yesterday I took the kids to the track meet at the high school and when a race would finish he would yell, "more running! Set, go!"

After a little while I knew he needed to get sleep, so I laid him in his crib and put his blanket over him.  I asked him to show me his happy face. I wish I could burn that beautiful image in my mind.  His soft, perfect face in the low light, grinning at me.  That is what makes life worth living-his smile.  We made mad faces and sad faces and surprised faces at each other, too. And after a few belly rubs, I had him tell me, "see ya later alligator" which came out "yi ya ter alita."

No comments:

Post a Comment